Advertisement

What to include in environment artist portfolio?

Started by August 26, 2024 11:51 PM
1 comment, last by GeneralJist 6 days, 2 hours ago

What should I include in an environment art portfolio? Let me know what you think of the following suggestions below:

The goal is to get a job as an entry-level environment artist in the game industry.

1. Include 3 high-quality environment art made with Maya and Unreal Engine 5.
  2. Maybe include one or two asset pieces like a complex asset (rotary phone, gargoyle statue, etc).

That it. Do not include drawings or game design stuff to confuse the audience or potential hiring agents.

Questions about the game environment art portfolio:

1. Is Substance Designer industry standard? Do I have to use it to create good textures or is that more reserved for texture/material artist portfolios? I always find substance designer hard to grasp. I like substance painter but I never could get into substance designer without feeling overwhelmed.

I think I answered the question by asking the question, I know it's very important to make good materials/textures for environments. What are the best courses for beginners to expert level?
  2. Is Blender okay to use as well? Sculpting instead of ZBrush which is expensive and subscription-based.
  3. Do I focus on niche? Like organic environments with stones/trees or only sci-fi hard surface or both?
  4. Now for example let's say I want to work for Id Tech, it would help to make sci-fi levels similar to Doom or Quake, yes? if I want to work for Neitherrealms Studios, make temples from China with dragons or statues, etc similar to Mortal Kombat theme or Injustice.
Advertisement

Sorry, but it's not that simple.

A portfolio of work is work you did in the past. Not a random assortment of works you picked up and dropped for the only purpose of making a portfolio.

The best portfolios tell a story, not just within itself, but of you the creator and your journey.

FINISHED projects are best.

The way your phrasing it, makes it sound like if you just make the right asset, people will be so blown away they will hire you on the spot, because you made what they like. That is not how it works, Isolated assets outside of a project can be nice, but if you want in, you'll need to make or join a team, and actually put in the work TO SHIP A GAME

The tools you choose are up to you. yes it's better to use industry standard ones, but if you don't want to spend the money, than free versions are fine to start.

OH,

I send you a pm, I'll give you a shot, we need a texture artist & level designer.

Our company homepage:

https://honorgames.co/

My New Book!:

https://booklocker.com/books/13011.html

Advertisement