Advertisement

Protecting Unique Game Mechanics for Language Learning App

Started by July 29, 2024 06:39 PM
1 comment, last by Tom Sloper 1ย month, 3ย weeks ago

Hello everyone,
I've spent over 10 years learning English (with varying levels of intensiveness ๐Ÿ˜Š) and have tried out almost every mobile app available on marketplaces like Google Play.
I've come up with a unique idea for a game that helps learn English in a funny and yet effective way. Now it's ready to upload.
Questions is:

1. My game features a unique idea and mechanics, so should I worry about intellectual property protection.
2. Will submitting my game to app marketplaces like the App Store or Google Play establish it as "prior art"?
3. Are there any recommended practices for indie developers like myself to safeguard their game mechanics?
4. What are some cost-effective or even free options available for protecting my game's intellectual property (if needed)?

Having tried out numerous language learning apps, I'm confident that my game offers a unique approach,
so I want to make sure I'm protecting my idea correctly.I'd really appreciate any insights or guidance.

Thank you so much for your time!

Game play mechanics are not protectable. You can (and should) copyright the graphics and sounds and text. You can eventually trademark the title. But you can't patent a โ€œmechanic.โ€ If your approach to language learning is really good and it catches on, there may be copycats. But if there are, will those copycats steal your business? That's kind of up to how well you run your business. If that's what you're afraid of, don't be.

You can (and should) talk to a lawyer, which I am not.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement